• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about my house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeff2674

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

After 5 years, I can't take anymore of my wife. She has cheated, verbally, mentally and emotionally abused me. She has hit me on a number of occasions and just recently pointed and threatened me with a kitchen knife (while I was holding my 15 mo. old daughter) just because I didn't get to the dishes and the sink was full.

She repeated tells me how much she hates me and this marriage. I told her I had enough and that I want out. She is mental, I swear. Anyway, I bought my house in 1998 have it in just in my name. She moved in March 2004, married August. 2004. Her name is *not* on the deed. She has not made a single mortgage payment or helped me with one.

She won't leave, she said that if we divorce she is getting half the house. The house is not martial property, is it? She also has credit card debt that she put herself in, due to buying things just for herself. Those cards are just in her name only. Am I responsible for them?

I did help her out right before we got married, she said she owed $2,000 on them, so I wrote her a check. Found out a few months after we got married she lied, she owed $4,000. And on top of that she has respent the $2k I gave her and she owes over $7k in credit cards.

Someone please help me out here..

Silverplum

When your wife threatened you with a knife, did you call the police and make a report?

After 5 years, I can't take anymore of my wife. She has cheated, verbally, mentally and emotionally abused me. She has hit me on a number of occasions and just recently pointed and threatened me with a kitchen knife (while I was holding my 15 mo. old daughter) just because I didn't get to the dishes and the sink was full.

She repeated tells me how much she hates me and this marriage. I told her I had enough and that I want out. She is mental, I swear. Anyway, I bought my house in 1998 have it in just in my name. She moved in March 2004, married August. 2004. Her name is *not* on the deed. She has not made a single mortgage payment or helped me with one.

She won't leave, she said that if we divorce she is getting half the house. The house is not martial property, is it? She also has credit card debt that she put herself in, due to buying things just for herself. Those cards are just in her name only. Am I responsible for them?

I did help her out right before we got married, she said she owed $2,000 on them, so I wrote her a check. Found out a few months after we got married she lied, she owed $4,000. And on top of that she has respent the $2k I gave her and she owes over $7k in credit cards.

Last edited:

jeff2674

No, I didnt call the police, though I should have. About 2 months prior she tried kicking me while at the top of the stairs (I also had my daughter in my arms). When I told her I was calling the police, she told me to go ahead, that she was going to turn it around and make it seem like she was defending herself and make me the 'bad' one. I never had or never will lay a hand on her.

In today's society, I believe the police would have believed her. I don't want to lose my daughter and be wrongly accused/arrested. Like I said, her personality is like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Would hiding a voice recorder in my house (she mainly acts this way behind closed doors) help me if I were to get some of the things she says?

How can I get her out of the house?

I also have about $15,000 in my checking (we have seperate checking accounts, due to her irresponsibility with money). Can I just give this money to my folks, or will she still be given half of it?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I also have about $15,000 in my checking (we have seperate checking accounts, due to her irresponsibility with money). Can I just give this money to my folks, or will she still be given half of it?
Excellent, then you can afford to (you guessed it): Talk to a local divorce attorney...

LdiJ

You do need to talk to a divorce attorney, however I will give you some general information.

You are each entitled to 1/2 of the assets that accrued during the marriage.

That would include not 1/2 of the house, but 1/2 of any equity that has accrued since you got married. In today's market, that might not be much.
That would also include 1/2 of any savings accrued during the marriage.

You are each responsible for 1/2 of any debts that accrued during the marriage. That includes her credit cards unfortunately.

DO NOT HIDE MONEY. All that will do is get you in trouble with the courts, and it doesn't work anyway.

jeff2674

I plan on contacting an attorney, actually I did and they want $175 consultation fee. So I was hoping to get some questions answered here. As for the money in my checking account, can she subpeona my checking account to see how much is in it? There has to be some way to get that money out, can't I just 'give it away'? The account is only in my name.

Also, how do I get her out of the house? Do I need a court order? What if I can prove I paid for all the assets in the house, such as our new furniture, LCD TV, etc.. She still gets half?

Thanks for the help so far!

LdiJ

I plan on contacting an attorney, actually I did and they want $175 consultation fee. So I was hoping to get some questions answered here. As for the money in my checking account, can she subpeona my checking account to see how much is in it? There has to be some way to get that money out, can't I just 'give it away'? The account is only in my name.

Also, how do I get her out of the house? Do I need a court order? What if I can prove I paid for all the assets in the house, such as our new furniture, LCD TV, etc.. She still gets half?

Thanks for the help so far!
NO, you cannot hide money or give it away. Do not even attempt to do so. You WILL be held accountable.

It doesn't matter who paid for what. If its an asset that accrued during the marriage you are each entitled to 1/2.

She gets to stay in the house until a judge says otherwise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">