• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

North Carolina uncontested divorce question?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flamestarrdust

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I filed for an uncontested divorce in NC in 2001. I filed through a mail in service company that specialized in uncontested divorces. However, I do not remember the name of the company. My divorce certificate was misplaced and thrown out accidentally. I am in contact with my ex husband and the same happened to his. Now I am trying to apply to take a state test for Nursing and cannot because my NC State ID and Social Security Card do not match because my married name is still on my ID. This occurred because once the divorce was final, I had my name changed back to my maiden one on my Social Security card. I did not change my ID because I was about to move to NY and wanted to have an ID through that state. Unfortunately, this move is when my divorce certificate was misplaced. I do not know what county in NC it was filed in because I lived in one county at the time and my ex husband lived in another. I have contacted both counties and neither has a record of this divorce and say there is no record of the divorce in NC State files. However, my ex husband remarried in NC in 2002. So I'm guessing for him to be married in NC, the divorce would have to have gone through. I was advised to contact the NC Bureau of Vital Records and have sent a request to them. However, is there any other advice that you can give me in the meantime, that I can use if the Bureau of Vital Records comes back with nothing?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I filed for an uncontested divorce in NC in 2001. I filed through a mail in service company that specialized in uncontested divorces. However, I do not remember the name of the company. My divorce certificate was misplaced and thrown out accidentally. I am in contact with my ex husband and the same happened to his. Now I am trying to apply to take a state test for Nursing and cannot because my NC State ID and Social Security Card do not match because my married name is still on my ID. This occurred because once the divorce was final, I had my name changed back to my maiden one on my Social Security card. I did not change my ID because I was about to move to NY and wanted to have an ID through that state. Unfortunately, this move is when my divorce certificate was misplaced. I do not know what county in NC it was filed in because I lived in one county at the time and my ex husband lived in another. I have contacted both counties and neither has a record of this divorce and say there is no record of the divorce in NC State files. However, my ex husband remarried in NC in 2002. So I'm guessing for him to be married in NC, the divorce would have to have gone through. I was advised to contact the NC Bureau of Vital Records and have sent a request to them. However, is there any other advice that you can give me in the meantime, that I can use if the Bureau of Vital Records comes back with nothing?
This isn't advice for you, but its advice for anyone who is considering using a mail in service or internet service for divorce. DO NOT DO IT. Either use a local attorney or file in court yourself, pro se.

You are not the first person I have seen with this problem and you won't be the last.

However, one other thing that you can do is file in court to legally change your last name to the last name that appears on your social security records. Then it would be easy to get your ID problem resolved.

flamestarrdust

I solved this issue. The reason it could not be located is because they were searching under my maiden name not my married one. Once they searched my married name, it was easily found. So I am divorced and my divorce service was not fraudulent. Now I can take my nursing test. Thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">