• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights to the house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alyk70714

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Lousisiana, but the property is in Mississippi.

My fiancee' is legally still married to a woman who lives in Mississippi. While they were married he bought a house and put it in her mother's name for a while until they got around to putting it in his name. When the time came to put it in his name, the mother in law refused to have it done. My question is when they do get a divorce, which will be soon because we are getting scheduled to get married soon, who has the rights to the house. Does she get to keep the house and live in it or does he? Or do they have to sell the house and split the selling price of the house? Please help.

Flyingifr

It was her house since day-one and still is. He is an idiot for doing it this way and is now going to pay the 'stupid tax".

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Lousisiana, but the property is in Mississippi.

My fiancee' is legally still married to a woman who lives in Mississippi. While they were married he bought a house and put it in her mother's name for a while until they got around to putting it in his name. When the time came to put it in his name, the mother in law refused to have it done. My question is when they do get a divorce, which will be soon because we are getting scheduled to get married soon, who has the rights to the house. Does she get to keep the house and live in it or does he? Or do they have to sell the house and split the selling price of the house? Please help.
He doesn't have a house. HIs wife's mother has a house -- it is in HER NAME. She never has to turn it over to him. He gifted it to her. You are getting scheduled to marry a MARRIED MAN? Unless he has a written contract spelling out this "deal" he has NOTHING. And the contract needs to be found by a court to be valid and then enforced.

nextwife

Please explain how he has any legal interest in the property? Is he in title? Does he have a vendee's interest? An option? What legal instrument did this RE genius create that vests any interest to HIM?

mistoffolees

Please explain how he has any legal interest in the property? Is he in title? Does he have a vendee's interest? An option? What legal instrument did this RE genius create that vests any interest to HIM?
Keeping in mind that for real estate transactions, verbal agreements are worthless.

Anyone want to bet that it was his ploy to hide assets from the first wife who he hadn't yet divorced when he became engaged to the second -- and now he's repeating the process with wife to be #3?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Keeping in mind that for real estate transactions, verbal agreements are worthless.

Anyone want to bet that it was his ploy to hide assets from the first wife who he hadn't yet divorced when he became engaged to the second -- and now he's repeating the process with wife to be #3?
Yep. And this girlfriend just wants to make sure he gets as much money as possible. Well say goodbye to the house. Statute of frauds, baby.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">