• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

florida state retirement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zena9710

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? fl
I am asking for one half of my stbx fl state retirement after 20 years of marriage. Must I wait to draw on that when he retires or do I get a lump sum at the time of divorce? Thanks in advance

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Depends on what is awarded and how it is awarded. If it is his retirement you will get when he retires.

nextwife

You generally are ONLY entitled to half of whatever portion accrued DURING the marriage. Which may not be 50%- especially if he has many more years accrual left before retirement, or many prior to marriage.

Those funds would be received when the program considers it payable. Most of our pensions do not get paid until we meet the criteria for receipt, which means achieving whatever the plan's set of requirements may be. Additionally, he'd be entitled to half of whatever you accrued in your retirement plans during the marriage.

You and he also share the marital debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">