• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex trying to move back in

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djverbal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

My wife and I have been seperated now for close to seven months. She moved out of the condo we bought on January 1st of 2009. I have been paying the mortgage and assocation dues alone ever since. This weekend she lost her apartment as she couldn't pay the rent. She informed me that she was moving back in with me as she has nowhere else to go. I instisted that no, this was not acceptable and that she could not. Sunday evening though she showed up and started loading her things into the garage. She has now been sleeping on the couch for the past two nights. I don't want her in my house and I don't believe she has any right to be there now. What can I do to remove her?

Thanks

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

My wife and I have been seperated now for close to seven months. She moved out of the condo we bought on January 1st of 2009. I have been paying the mortgage and assocation dues alone ever since. This weekend she lost her apartment as she couldn't pay the rent. She informed me that she was moving back in with me as she has nowhere else to go. I instisted that no, this was not acceptable and that she could not. Sunday evening though she showed up and started loading her things into the garage. She has now been sleeping on the couch for the past two nights. I don't want her in my house and I don't believe she has any right to be there now. What can I do to remove her?

Thanks
She has just as much right to live there as you until a Judge says otherwise.

CourtClerk

She moved back into HER home? The MARITAL home? Sounds fine with me. If you don't want to be under the same roof, you move out. You can't keep her out of the marital home. It's just as much hers as it is yours.

djverbal

I guess I find it hard to understand how it remains "HERS" after she abondoned it six months ago and hasn't paid a penny for it since. Yes, I could move out but since she can't afford a $500 a month apartment I hardly think she can pay $1500 a month for the house. So if I leave the house is going into forclosure.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I guess I find it hard to understand how it remains "HERS" after she abondoned it six months ago and hasn't paid a penny for it since. Yes, I could move out but since she can't afford a $500 a month apartment I hardly think she can pay $1500 a month for the house. So if I leave the house is going into forclosure.
First of all it is the marital residence. And if she is on the deed then it is HER property.

mistoffolees

First of all it is the marital residence. And if she is on the deed then it is HER property.
At the present time, the first of those two statements is more important. Until a judge rules otherwise, it's her home as well as his and she has every right to move back in.

Whether she can afford the house if he moves out is completely irrelevant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">