• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

defamation of character

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kmsparty

my husband's ex wife has written a book and had it published through a self publishing company. According to her book, my husband is a rapist, murderder, gang leader, and horrible abuser, just to name a few. None of these things are true, and can be proven. She used a penname and does not use his name in the book. She does however, speak to women about her book which she claims is her true story. These women and the website that promotes her book know her true identity.
About 9 months ago, the daughter came to live at our home and showed our co-workers this book that was about her father, supposedly. This all happened behind our backs, as we, at the time, didn't know there was such a book and have not seen the book except for on the website.
Is there anything we can do? Can my husband challenge her claims in the book? Can she be sued for libel or defamation of character?
It doesn't seem right that someone make a profit on a book that she claims to be true, but is just pure fiction. Must she sell me a copy if I pay for it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">