• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my marriage legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

plisco75

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

My "husband" and I got married last August in Las Vegas, only to find out months later he was still legally married.

The magistrate told me that means our marriage is null/void. I already changed my name and filed my taxes ... so what do I do now?

I am in the process of filing the annulment now - but does this mean I am "single"?? I am not sure how to behave.

I am not planning to "remarry" him or make the marriage valid in any way.... I have been deceived and lied to.

I just want to continue my life. Do I need to correct my tax return since our marriage is not valid by the state? I can prove that he was married because he received his divorce papers AFTER the fact.

Thanks.

Isis1

My "husband" and I got married last August in Las Vegas, only to find out months later he was still legally married.

The magistrate told me that means our marriage is null/void. I already changed my name and filed my taxes ... so what do I do now?

I am in the process of filing the annulment now - but does this mean I am "single"?? I am not sure how to behave.

I am not planning to "remarry" him or make the marriage valid in any way.... I have been deceived and lied to.

I just want to continue my life. Do I need to correct my tax return since our marriage is not valid by the state? I can prove that he was married because he received his divorce papers AFTER the fact.

Thanks.
uh, it only matters the court ordered date for divorce. was the divorce itself granted prior to the vegas wedding?

ETA: and behave like a responsible upstanding citizen.

LdiJ

Thanks.
Leave the taxes alone. You believed that you were legally married at the time that you signed the joint return, therefore it was a valid joint return.

The law does not allow for a joint return to be separated into 2 single/separate returns after April 15th, therefore it would be very difficult to file a single return at this point. It can be done, but its not easy and you would have to hire a tax professional to handle it for you.

Petition to have your last name changed back to your original name as part of your annulment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">