• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

debts from divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

torimac

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was divorced some years ago. During the last few years of our marraige, we acquired quite a few debts. Some were personal, some commercial. In the divorce decree, all the debts were to be divided evenly.
However, my ex has not paid any money toward the debts. I have not heard from him in quite some time. When I did last contact him, he made it clear that he had no intention of paying the debts.
I have been paying them off slowly to protect my credit. What options do I have for having him honor his portion of the debts? Would that be contemt of court?

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was divorced some years ago. During the last few years of our marraige, we acquired quite a few debts. Some were personal, some commercial. In the divorce decree, all the debts were to be divided evenly.
However, my ex has not paid any money toward the debts. I have not heard from him in quite some time. When I did last contact him, he made it clear that he had no intention of paying the debts.
I have been paying them off slowly to protect my credit. What options do I have for having him honor his portion of the debts? Would that be contemt of court?
yep. take him back to court for contempt.

was there a deadline for him to pay the debt?

torimac

There was no deadline set in the divorce decree. It has been over three years since the divorce, longer since the legal seperation.
Thanks for the answer.

LdiJ

There was no deadline set in the divorce decree. It has been over three years since the divorce, longer since the legal seperation.
Thanks for the answer.
You should also be able to get a judgement against him as part of the contempt case. That would allow you to garnish wages or put liens against assets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">