• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seeking Advice - Divorce - Common Law Marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JETX

My fiance and I have been together since April of 1997. He's still married to his ex
What???

he is an illegal alien from Mexico
WHAT???

Are there any laws in Oregon about a marriage being voided after a certain amount of time being separated?
ROTFLMAO!!! No.

Is there any laws that could help him?
Hmmm... he is breaking the law... and now wants the law to HELP him??? Give me a break!!!

He's paying child support and not been able to see his daughter in over 16 years.
Boo-hoo!!! Tell him to start OBEYING the law... and then he might be able to actually follow the legal process to get custody or visitation.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My fiance and I have been together since April of 1997. He's still married to his ex but they've been separated since 1994. They have a child together but the mother had lost custody due to child neglect. Her family is wealthy and took custody of their child because they told the courts the father was never in the picture. He was afraid to step up because he is an illegal alien from Mexico who's been in the states over 30 years and was afraid to fight them due to them having money and him being an illegal alien. So I guess my question(s) are:

a) Are there any laws in Oregon about a marriage being voided after a certain amount of time being separated?

b) He's paying child support yet, he's still been unable to find or even visit his daughter. He's seen her once since 1994, because I set up a meeting with his ex and them to meet so he could see his little girl. Is there any laws that could help him? He's paying child support and not been able to see his daughter in over 16 years.

Any other information/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help!
Well...he only has a couple more years to go on child support, and once his daughter turns 18 it will be up to her whether or not they meet or have a relationship.

However he cannot be your fiance if he is married to someone else, so perhaps he needs to get a divorce.

nextwife

You have NO common law marriage. He is MARRIED, so no matter how long you live together with a married man, you cannot create a common law marriage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">