• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

This divorce is out of hand, and I need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

micaw_ber

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

Here is my situation- My wife and I separated the first of Feb.- It was not a legal separation. Legally we were still married. We filed papers with the court on Friday, and on Saturday I used her password to get into her email account (which she will deny i knew, although the password was there well through our marriage) and found that she was sleeping with two men during the separation, although still married. She was furious, and says that she will press charges for violation of privacy.

I hate to waste everyone s time, but should I worry? I just knew her password, and it worked. No shenanigans involved. But she is ANGRY, and hell hath....you know the rest...What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Here is my situation- My wife and I separated the first of Feb.- It was not a legal separation. Legally we were still married. We filed papers with the court on Friday, and on Saturday I used her password to get into her email account (which she will deny i knew, although the password was there well through our marriage) and found that she was sleeping with two men during the separation, although still married. She was furious, and says that she will press charges for violation of privacy.

I hate to waste everyone s time, but should I worry? I just knew her password, and it worked. No shenanigans involved. But she is ANGRY, and hell hath....you know the rest...What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
WHY do you feel you had the right to do that? Seriously. YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO INVADE HER PRIVACY. Should she have been sleeping around? no. But you still should not have done that. What was the point of spying on her?

micaw_ber

That really dosent help, and if it was down to hating myself for what she guilted me for, or using known information. I would use known information.

I am looking for help, nothing more please.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That really dosent help, and if it was down to hating myself for what she guilted me for, or using known information. I would use known information.

I am looking for help, nothing more please.
What was the purpose or the point. YOU BOTH filed papers according to you. What were you hoping to gain?
We filed papers with the court on Friday, and on Saturday I used her password to get into her email account (which she will deny i knew, although the password was there well through our marriage) and found that she was sleeping with two men during the separation, although still married. She was furious, and says that she will press charges for violation of privacy.

So you were looking for an agreeable easy divorce? You probably just made it about 100 times more difficult. Seriously. She might decide to fight you for everything and then some which could increase your attorney costs as well as other expenses to LITIGATE THIS. So what was the POINT???? Did it make you feel better?

micaw_ber

Actually she wanted to file, and went through HER channel. Jesus- I was looking for legal, not emotional advice- I would figure that a massive violation of trust was enough, but guess not.

Keep the man hate alive!

This site is bull****

LdiJ

Actually she wanted to file, and went through HER channel. Jesus- I was looking for legal, not emotional advice- I would figure that a massive violation of trust was enough, but guess not.

Keep the man hate alive!

This site is bull****
What did any of the answers have to do with "man hate"? If the genders had been reversed the answers would have been the same.

CourtClerk

Man hate is in that if I was a woman the responses would be VASTLY different, no more.
That was already addressed. The fact is that you are having this tantrum because you are hearing something you don't want to hear. Therefore, why don't you sit at home and wait to be prosecuted. Once you're charged, pay an attorney to listen to your drivel about 'man hate.' Make sure you tell it to the judge as well.

micaw_ber

I was looking for the legal ramifications of essentially doing what I did in the past- check email for her. She now wants to press charges against me.

CourtClerk

Yes, you sent it awry, however, I will ask admin to close it since you don't like the legal answers you received.

CourtClerk

Don't let the door hit you, where the good Lord split you.

I tell you, everyday I understand why people leave their spouses. Tell your soon to be ex wife that I said congratulations on FINALLY making a good decision. It's understandable why she had an affair if she was stuck with you.

I used her password to get into her email account...
From this site: Alabama Computer Crime Act - Internet Library of Law and Court Decisions

Internet Laws and Statutes
Alabama
Computer Crime Act.

Art. 5 - Section 13A-8-100 Short title.
Art. 5 - Section 13A-8-101 Definitions.
Art. 5 - Section 13A-8-102 Offenses Against Intellectual Property.
Art. 5 - Section 13A-8-103 Acts Constituting Offense Against Computer Equipment or Supplies; Punishment.

Section 13A-8-100
Short title.

This article may be cited as the Alabama Computer Crime Act.

History.Acts 1985, No. 85-383, §1, p. 326.

Section 13A-8-101
Definitions.

When used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the following meanings, respectively, unless a different meaning clearly appears from the context:

(1) DATA. A representation of information, knowledge, facts, concepts, or instructions which are being prepared or have been prepared in a formalized manner, and is intended to be processed, is being processed, or has been processed in a computer system or computer network, and should be classified as intellectual property, and may be in any form, including computer printouts, magnetic storage media, punched cards, or stored internally in the memory of the computer.

(2) INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. Data, including computer program.

(3) COMPUTER PROGRAM. An ordered set of data representing coded instructions or statements that, when executed by a computer, cause the computer to process data.

(4) COMPUTER. An electronic magnetic, optical or other high speed data processing device or system which performs logical, arithmetic, and memory functions by manipulations of electronic magnetic or optical impulses, and includes all input, output, processing, storage, computer software, or communication facilities which are connected or related to the computer in a computer system or computer network.

(5) COMPUTER SOFTWARE. A set of computer programs, procedures, and associated documentation concerned with the operation of a computer, computer system or computer network.

(6) COMPUTER SYSTEM. A set of related, connected or unconnected, computer equipment, devices, or computer software.

(7) COMPUTER NETWORK. A set of related, remotely connected devices and communication facilities, including more than one computer system, with capability to transmit data among them through communication facilities.

(8) COMPUTER SYSTEM SERVICES. The utilization of a computer, computer system, or computer network to assist an individual or entity with the performance of a particular lawful function which that individual or entity has been given the right, duty, and power, together with the responsibility, to perform.

(9) PROPERTY. Anything of value as defined by law, and includes financial instruments, information, including electronically produced data and computer software and computer programs in either machine or human readable form, and any other tangible or intangible items of value.

(10) FINANCIAL INSTRUMENT. Includes any check, draft, warrant, money order, note, certificate of deposit, letter of credit, bill of exchange, credit or debit card, transaction authorization mechanism, marketable security, or any computer system representation thereof.

(11) ACCESS. To instruct, communicate with, store data in, or retrieve data from a computer, computer system or computer network.

History. Acts 1985, No. 85-383, §2, p. 326.

Section 13A-8-102
Offenses against intellectual property.

(a) Whoever willfully, knowingly, and without authorization or without reasonable grounds to believe that he or she has such authorization, attempts or achieves access, communication, examination, or modification of data, computer programs, or supporting documentation residing or existing internal or external to a computer, computer system, or computer network commits an offense against intellectual property.

(b) Whoever willfully, knowingly, and without authorization or without reasonable grounds to believe that he or she has such authorization, destroys data, computer programs, or supporting documentation residing or existing internal or external to a computer, computer system, or computer network commits an offense against intellectual property.

(c) Whoever willfully, knowingly, and without authorization or without reasonable grounds to believe that he or she has such authorization, discloses, uses, or takes data, computer programs, or supporting documentation residing or existing internal or external to a computer, computer system, or computer network commits an offense against intellectual property.

(d)(1) Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, an offense against intellectual property is a Class A misdemeanor, punishable as provided by law.

(2) If the offense is committed for the purpose of devising or executing any scheme or artifice to defraud or to obtain any property, then the offender is guilty of a Class C felony, punishable as provided by law.

(3) If the damage to such intellectual property is greater than two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500), or if there is an interruption or impairment of governmental operation or public communication, transportation, or supply of water, gas, or other public or utility service, then the offender is guilty of a Class B felony, punishable as provided by law.

(4) Whoever willfully, knowingly, and without authorization alters or removes data causing physical injury to any person who is not involved in said act shall be guilty of a Class A felony, punishable as provided by law.

History. Acts 1985, No. 85-383, p. 326, §3,; Act 2003-355, p. 962, §1.

Section 13A-8-103
Acts constituting offense against computer equipment or supplies; punishment.

(a)(1) Whoever willfully, knowingly, and without authorization or without reasonable grounds to believe that he has such authorization, modifies equipment or supplies that are used or intended to be used in a computer, computer system, or computer network commits an offense against computer equipment or supplies.

(2)a. Except as provided in this subsection, an offense against computer equipment or supplies as provided in subdivision (a)(1) is a Class A misdemeanor, punishable as provided by law.

b. If the offense is committed for the purpose of devising or executing any scheme or artifice to defraud or to obtain any property, then the offender is guilty of a Class C felony, punishable as provided by law.

(b)(1) Whoever willfully, knowingly, and without authorization or without reasonable grounds to believe that he has such authorization, destroys, uses, takes, injures, or damages equipment or supplies used or intended to be used in a computer, computer system, or computer network, or whoever willfully, knowingly, and without authorization or without reasonable grounds to believe that he has such authorization, destroys, injures, takes, or damages any computer, computer system, or computer network commits an offense against computer equipment and supplies.

(2)a. Except as provided in this subsection, an offense against computer equipment or supplies as provided in subdivision (b)(1) is a Class A misdemeanor, punishable as provided by law.

b. If the damage to such computer equipment or supplies or to the computer, computer system, or computer network is $2,500.00 or greater, or if there is an interruption or impairment of governmental operation or public communication, transportation, or supply of water, gas, or other public utility service, then the offender is guilty of a Class B felony, punishable as provided by law.

History. Acts 1985, No. 85-383, §4, p. 326.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">