• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Poa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peppier

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

From around 1992 until her death, my oldest brother took care of my mother. For the first 8 or 9 yrs she was competent. In that time they bought some land and a home together with rights of survivorship on the note and my brother paid half.

Later, she had Alzheimer's and as she worsened she gave him POA. Somewhere in that kind of twilight area she wanted to give 10 acres of land to my sons but they didn't want it and my 2 oldest brothers did so she agreed, no-one ran this by my younger sister and one other brother. She also owned 7 plots in a cemetary in my home town and decided that I should have them, I really didn't want them either but went ahead and let them sign them over to me. Again, let me stress, I'm not sure how competent she was at this time but I was around her and often she was coherent and she was never legally declared incompetent.

When she died my oldest brother kept the house and the land they had purchased together when Mother was completely competent. It wasn't paid for and he is paying for it now. He took care of all her bills and in the end we each got 5K and that was that.

All of us knew that the brother with POA was often benefitting from Mother's money but we all agreed that he deserved it because he was taking care of her and w/o him she'd be in a nursing home. After she died, my sister kept saying how he cheated us all and she wanted an accounting of everything, we just ignored her and figured if she got a lawyer then we'd do what we had to. I felt like if she had really cared she should have been there asking such questions when my mother was alive.

My sister called tonight wanting to know about the cemetary plots and when I told her that they were in my name she went ballistic and said that my brother had no authority to sign them over to me. I offered to sign them over to her because I never really wanted them anyway but she wouldn't let it go and was making threats about legal action.

My mother died 19 months ago, is there anything she can do at this late date? I think they're probably worth around $1200 and they surely aren't worth fighting over but she wants to bring up all the ancient history.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

unless sis has a lot of money to spend on an attorney, I would not give this too much thought. Legal expenses over $10k would not be a surprise at all.

Is she willing to spend that kind of money?

peppier

I really think she's blowing smoke but I just wish I had some law I could cite that would just shut her up, I'm sick of her insults and threats.

latigo

Inform the obnoxious sibling that she is making a “Katrina” out of a dust devil.

Give her the bloody burial plots with best wishes for their early utilization.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">