• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

marital separation agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nightlysin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have at________this day of________, set my hand and seal to this separation agreement, the pages hereof bearing my initials.

My questions is what do I enter in the blanks spaces?

SIN EATER

That's very antiquated language. There is no legal necessity for such contorted phrasing. I don't believe that was drafted by a CA lawyer (or at least one under age ninety).

The best language is simple, clear and understandable to all readers.

Prior to signature, it is common to note the location of the execution of the agreement and the date (e.g. 'Executed at Los Angeles, California, on September 22, 2008').
Initial every page & sign the last page with a notary's endorsement.

I don't recommend a do-it-yourself [marital] separation/settlement agreement.
An attorney shouldn't charge much to draft one suited to your needs.
You really have to understand community property law and know the extent of the cp assets. If you miss a retirement plan, it may have disastrous results thirty years later.
If you must do this pro per, check out some tried and true books from the more respected CA pro-per publishers. They have boiler-plate agreements included, but also provide valuable info in the book (for about 25. or read at the public library).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">