• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Decree absolute or decree nisi

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sebastian 1504

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

Hi,
my girlfriend filed for divorce. When filing she was asked by the clerk if the divorce should be final. She answered yes.

Does this question mean that the divorce decree will be a decree absolute the day the judge signs the decree?

Or are all divorce decrees in WA decree nisi first?

Or are there any decree nisi anymore in WA? It's important for us to find out if the decree will be absolute or nisi. Her hearing will be in two months.

Thanks for replies.
seb

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

Hi,
my girlfriend filed for divorce. When filing she was asked by the clerk if the divorce should be final. She answered yes.

Does this question mean that the divorce decree will be a decree absolute the day the judge signs the decree?

Or are all divorce decrees in WA decree nisi first?

Or are there any decree nisi anymore in WA? It's important for us to find out if the decree will be absolute or nisi. Her hearing will be in two months.

Thanks for replies.
seb
Unless she filed for divorce before 1949, there is only a final decree:
Summary of State Laws on Divorce and Remarriage

Why is it so important? It's not a very good idea to be running off and getting married within weeks of a divorce, anyway. Of course, if your gf DID file before 1949, I can understand why a few months might matter. :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">