• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Next Steps...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OK

Ok, so I will just say in advance, yes, shoot me, I made a mistake and I need to know what to do next.

My husband abandoned me and my children while I was deployed. I knew where he lived up until about a week ago. I filed for divorce when I got back at the beginning of May. At that time, he agreed he didn't want a messy battle and said he would sign the waiver of appearance.

Well, of course, I decided to mail the copy of the decree and the waiver to him to have notarized and to sign and he was supposed to mail it back. I waited and waited and never got it. He kept saying he was going to send it back but never did. I DID NOT send it certified mail (I know, I know) because I was trying to save as much money as possible.

I had the JAG office draw up these papers for me while I was in Kuwait and spent the money to go to my county courthouse to have it filed. Now that I don't know where he lives and I don't have the signed waiver, I know that I need to file based on abandonment.

Am I going to need a lawyer to do this portion? Since I don't have the signed waiver, how do I get a court date for a hearing? Do I go to court first and then get permission to serve him via public notice? I really REALLY can't afford representation by a lawyer. JAG can draw up any paperwork I need but won't represent me.

He is not going to show up or fight me. This much I know for sure. I just want this done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">