• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

will he be expelled if immigration knows he is bigamous?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aliskitty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

We are french, legally separated. H is working with e-visa in CT since 2006. He is living with his french girl friend since then.

I got their marriage certificate from Vegas that they got married in 2007 and our divorce is not final.

Would like to know if the US Immigration found out that he is bigamous and made use of his new marriage to enable his new wife a spouse visa to stay in the states, what will they eventually be facing? Would they be deported? (sorry about my english, I mean will they be forced to leave the states ?) or the US Immigration won't care about the alien's martial status at all?

Any idea on about how the employer will react? Will he be fired? He is the N°2 boss of that company.

Should I report their bigamy? How? Thanks for your advice and input.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

We are french, legally separated. H is working with e-visa in CT since 2006. He is living with his french girl friend since then.

I got their marriage certificate from Vegas that they got married in 2007 and our divorce is not final.

Would like to know if the US Immigration found out that he is bigamous and made use of his new marriage to enable his new wife a spouse visa to stay in the states, what will they eventually be facing? Would they be deported? (sorry about my english, I mean will they be forced to leave the states ?) or the US Immigration won't care about the alien's martial status at all?

Any idea on about how the employer will react? Will he be fired? He is the N°2 boss of that company.

Should I report their bigamy? How? Thanks for your advice and input.
What do you hope to gain other than vengeance?

aliskitty

What do you hope to gain other than vengeance?
Part of me want his punishment. Yes. But I am weighting if the leverage of his bigamy will hurt both his side and my side. I need his child support. I work two part time jobs but I cannot support my two teenage girls and two attorneys. My on-the-paper husband knows very well the french law cannot be enforced over the states (to garnish the child support from his salary) or I should say I could not afford to make it happen. Our divorce is like burning money especially I am in a poor financial position compared to him. He is waiting for me to dry up.

He pays CS as he feels like, he is clever not to exceed more than two months to avoid the law suit and sometimes he just paid a few hundreds, he stopped paying me the spousal support. And I was told by this forum that it is no way to obtain his tax return without his permission, I don't know how much he earns. The email I sent to his company to inquire about him was never answered.

My friend told me my situation wouldn't be worse if I report him anyway. I just want to hear more input.[/I]

Last edited:

mistoffolees

Maybe she would like the divorce to actually finalize. Being married to someone else at the same time could prove ADULTERY.
She can get a divorce without reporting him to the immigration authorities, so that's not a legitimate excuse.

In fact, reporting him might make it even harder to get a divorce - if he is deported and she can't easily serve him.

Again, there's no reason why she needs to get involved in that type of vindictive behavior.

TinkerBelleLuvr

I believe the OP is in France. Getting the guy deported from the US BACK to France might make it easier to get him served. But, then, there would be no paycheck to garnish.

What I wonder about is if she can get the French court ordered support domesticated to Connecticut. If she could do that, CSE might be able to help with the garnishment part.

LdiJ

I believe the OP is in France. Getting the guy deported from the US BACK to France might make it easier to get him served. But, then, there would be no paycheck to garnish.

What I wonder about is if she can get the French court ordered support domesticated to Connecticut. If she could do that, CSE might be able to help with the garnishment part.
She IS in France.

She could, but it would be fairly expensive to do...sounds like more than she can afford.

If the bigamy could give her leverage, I can understand why she would want to see if she could use it.

mistoffolees

She IS in France.

She could, but it would be fairly expensive to do...sounds like more than she can afford.

If the bigamy could give her leverage, I can understand why she would want to see if she could use it.
Reporting him is a lousy idea.

1. He may well go to Canada or some other country if he's deported - which won't help her and means that the work she's done already is shot.
2. He won't have employment, so her possibility of getting ANY child support drops.
3. If she gets him exported, he may well retaliate. Gee, he suddenly has lots of time on his hands, so if he goes to France without a job, he may as well get custody and get child support from her.
4. The immigration authorities may not care at all - so she creates WWIII with him retaliating in any way he can (including not paying ANY child support) and doesn't get deported, anyway.

Her only chance of benefiting from it is if ALL of the following happen:

1. The immigration authority cares.
2. They care enough to deport him.
3. He moves back to France
4. She spends the additional money to get an order in France ordering child support in light of the new circumstances.
5. He immediately gets a job that pays enough that France can order child support.
6. He actually pays child support or the cost of collection is low enough to make it worthwhile.

Considering that if ANY ONE of those things fails to happen, she's no better off, it's an incredibly long shot. AND, merely be turning him in, she creates a far more adversarial relationship than exists right now and ruins her chance of EVER having a working relationship.

The only other alternative is for her to threaten to turn him in to get some concessions from him, but I don't condone blackmail.

Sorry, I just don't see it as either a rational OR a moral thing to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">