• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander by a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sneed_scarf

i work at a latch key program in ohio. one of the young ladies (10 or 11) has been spreading malicious rumors and gossip about me. When she was confronted she goes home and repeats it to her parents. they in turn call my boss and file a complaint. the childs allegations include physical abuse. but she has not been in the room for any of the supposed incidents she has just been told by other youth and is repeating what she has been told. Her parents are continually making complaints “for others”.
1. Can i sue in small claims for a slander case (I’ve missed work due to this). are the parents liable for the childs actions?
2. is this harassment?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information,n ot to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

You can sue under both but you must prove both. Certain states have laws about the criminal culpability of such young kids -- in which case, sue the parents and the school who is actually considering these complaints.

Doesn't hurt to speak with a seasoned attorney in your state:

http://www.attorneypages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">