• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sourgrapes

What is the name of your state - California.

If my wife can not afford a lawyer but decides to get one, do I have to pay for her lawyer?

Sourgrapes

We have been married for 4 1/2 years and she didn't get a job for that period of time. she doesn't have a job now. I earn about 61k a year.

LdiJ

We have been married for 4 1/2 years and she didn't get a job for that period of time. she doesn't have a job now. I earn about 61k a year.
You could possibly be required to contribute to her attorney fees. Its not guaranteed either way. However if the two of you can come to agreements by yourselves it will mitigate the costs for both of you.

mistoffolees

A lot depends on the judge.

They will typically assume that she could be earning some income if she wished - even minimum wage. That reduces the disparity a bit.

But even with a large disparity, judges don't always award attorney's fees. I earned about 3-4 times what my ex did and she had to pay her own fees.

LdiJ

A lot depends on the judge.

They will typically assume that she could be earning some income if she wished - even minimum wage. That reduces the disparity a bit.

But even with a large disparity, judges don't always award attorney's fees. I earned about 3-4 times what my ex did and she had to pay her own fees.
Misto...I understand where you are coming from but you also had marital assets that were divided that your ex's attorney fees could come from. That is not necessarily the case here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">