• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statute of limitations to sue ex husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

longhorn girl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I was divorced in 1996. I had to file bankruptcy due to everything being in my name becasue my husband had such bad credit when we married.

He is now the owner of a state farm agency due to never having to file bankruptcy.

Is it possible to sue him for at least half of the 24,000.00 of debt that we had aquired during our 5 year marriage, or has too much time gone by?

Thanks

Just Blue

I was divorced in 1996. I had to file bankruptcy due to everything being in my name becasue my husband had such bad credit when we married.

He is now the owner of a state farm agency due to never having to file bankruptcy.

Is it possible to sue him for at least half of the 24,000.00 of debt that we had aquired during our 5 year marriage, or has too much time gone by?

Thanks
You mean you want to sue him for the marital debt you filed bankruptcy?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Thanks
Was he ordered to pay for any of this in the divorce?

longhorn girl

You mean you want to sue him for the marital debt you filed bankruptcy?
I am guessing that is what i want to do.
I would like for him to pay me at least half of the bankruptcy debt i filed since he helped create it.
Since his name was not on any accts. because he had awful credit he got out of it and moved his happy butt to somewhere else.:

longhorn girl

Was he ordered to pay for any of this in the divorce?
He refused to file or pay an di had a really bad lawyer who basically told me that the whole thing was my fault because my husband was seeing someone else so i paid it and then when i filed for bankruptcy he demanded itemized lists of each credit card charge which was impossible for me to obtain due to the fact that i couldnt pay the credit card bills and they would not release that info to me until i paid them.

LdiJ

I would like for him to pay me at least half of the bankruptcy debt i filed since he helped create it.
Since his name was not on any accts. because he had awful credit he got out of it and moved his happy butt to somewhere else.:
You didn't have to pay it either, because you filed bankruptcy on the debt. Therefore there is no action that you could take against him.

Its also far too late even if there had been any action.

Bali Hai

Thanks
Sounds like all the irresponsible bum had to do was get rid of YOU to become successful.

13 years divorced and you're still trying to hen peck him!!

nextwife

Did you give him use of Your credit cards? He would have been unable to use any credit if you hadn't, based on his not being granted any.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">