• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are Life Insurance payouts received usually split

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaredo

I will be filling for divorce soon and my father passed away last week. I will be receiving a small amount $20,000 in life insurance from his death. Will this have to be split between me and my wife?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I will be filling for divorce soon and my father passed away last week. I will be receiving a small amount $20,000 in life insurance from his death. Will this have to be split between me and my wife?
US Law Only!

Zigner

If you are the only named beneficiary, and if you don't "mingle" the funds with marital funds, then you don't have to share.

jaredo

Just to clarify when you say only named beneficiary there was also my brother and my mother but not my wife. I assume I am still okay?

Zigner

Just to clarify when you say only named beneficiary there was also my brother and my mother but not my wife. I assume I am still okay?
Ok, I'll rephrase.
The money belongs to the named beneficiary or beneficiaries. From the way you have described your situation, you wouldn't have to "share" so long as you don't do something to make the funds "marital funds"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">