• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of attorney liability question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pandorawa

My mothers finances are all messed up. she also cares for my handicapped father. She is forgetting things like recording transactions, sending in important paperwork and falling victim to various scams. my sister is pushing me to take over our parents financial affairs through a durable power of attorney.. my question is if I do become agent in a power of attorney over my parents will their bad credit and past financial mishaps reflect on my husband and I's credit history. I don't want their bad choices to effect our hard earned good credit status. If I'm tending to their finances on there behalf using my name as agent what is my liability. Can her creditors come after me personally and demand payment from my estate for her past account errorsWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

anteater

Can her creditors come after me personally and demand payment from my estate for her past account errors
In a word, "No." You keep her finances separate from your's. And you always indicate that you are only acting as an agent/attorney-in-fact.

But, is she competent and willing to grant you a POA? And is your father competent to grant one?

(Whoops... you really ought to answer the question about your state. Although, in this case, it does not affect the answer.)

Last edited:

BlondiePB

(Whoops... you really ought to answer the question about your state. Although, in this case, it does not affect the answer.)
Unless, the state is not in the states. Like the state of Russia, Cuba, North Korea, Aruba, the state of....just go ahead and pick anything.

pandorawa

in washington state

I am in Washington state, My dad has all his mental facilities intact but is quadriplegic. My mother is not totally incapacitated She forgets to do some basic financial things like remembering to record things and remembering to pay some bills and when we try to figure it out together she gets confused shes almost 80 years old and I think shes suffering from mild senile dementia.
When my uncle was helping her with some needed important paperwork concerning my dads medical she got confused and she expressed a wish that she wanted some one to do this kind of thing for her as she didn't want to do it anymore

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">