• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cdmorales

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am 60 years and getting a divorce after 31 years. I have let my attorney go, because I felt she was not handling my case right.

I have been trying to find work as a Receptionist/Data Entry. I have sent out resumes, but response back. I have signed with temp agencies but they have no job assignments either.

I stop working last March 2008 to take care of by sister who was dying from cancer. After she past away I had to take care of all her estate.

My former attorney is telling that I need to take computer skill or vocational training evaluation.

I have seen to 3 attorneys and get different answers:

1st attorney said it wouldn't hurt to take the vocational evaluation.

2nd attorney said if I didn't take the vocational evaluation, the court would order it.

3rd attorney said I would not have to take the vocational evaluation or any class.

I am taking a refresher course for Word and Excel.

Who is right?

Thank for your time
cdg

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am 60 years and getting a divorce after 31 years. I have let my attorney go, because I felt she was not handling my case right.

I have been trying to find work as a Receptionist/Data Entry. I have sent out resumes, but response back. I have signed with temp agencies but they have no job assignments either.

I stop working last March 2008 to take care of by sister who was dying from cancer. After she past away I had to take care of all her estate.

My former attorney is telling that I need to take computer skill or vocational training evaluation.

I have seen to 3 attorneys and get different answers:

1st attorney said it wouldn't hurt to take the vocational evaluation.

2nd attorney said if I didn't take the vocational evaluation, the court would order it.

3rd attorney said I would not have to take the vocational evaluation or any class.

I am taking a refresher course for Word and Excel.

Who is right?

Thank for your time
cdg
Well, we know that you have been married 31 years, and that you worked up until March 2008.

What kind of work did you do and how much did you earn doing that work? How long were you with your last job?

How much does your husband earn? How old is he?

What kind of retirement assets are available to be divided? What kind of other marital assets/debts exist?

I am not going to comment much without that information.

Realistically its not going to be easy for you to get another job at your age that provides benefits and is a career type job. Others may argue that, but its reality...but all of my questions are truly relevant.

commentator

commentator

Any type of settlement, award, etc based on your employability must also factor in that when you quit your last job, the economy wasn't quite in the tank yet, but it's really there now! So vocational evaluation or not, your chances of being re-employed right now are very slim. I think you should approach your situation with the assumption that you will not find another job soon, particularly in the clerical field. In even a wonderful job market, there are a very limited number of receptionist and data entry jobs. In this economy, you can get a receptionist with a master's degree and tap dancing skills.

Proserpina

Well, we know that you have been married 31 years, and that you worked up until March 2008.

What kind of work did you do and how much did you earn doing that work? How long were you with your last job?

How much does your husband earn? How old is he?

What kind of retirement assets are available to be divided? What kind of other marital assets/debts exist?

I am not going to comment much without that information.

Realistically its not going to be easy for you to get another job at your age that provides benefits and is a career type job. Others may argue that, but its reality...but all of my questions are truly relevant.

In all honesty I think it's going to be nigh on impossible to find a job paying enough, at this point, to remain self-sufficient. I'd hope though that the act of trying to become more employable would be a factor in OP's favor, in consideration of alimony/support.

But yes, I think I did put the cart before the horse; answers to your questions are needed.

mistoffolees

In addition to all the advice you've been given, I would like to respond to your 3 attorneys. The attorney who told you that the court would order evaluation is putting too strong a spin on it. They can't actually ORDER vocational evaluation, but they can deny alimony if you don't do it, so you'd be crazy not to do it (in addition to the fact that it would probably help you out). So there's an element of truth to what all 3 told you.

You'll need to answer the questions you got above for better advice. In addition, I'll ask what your retirement plans are. Are you in a position that you can manage (on whatever alimony you receive and assets received) that you could retire at 61? Or do you need to work?

Assuming that you need to work, almost anything you can do to improve your employability will help. I would start by going back to where you were before. If you were a good employee, that may move you to the top of the list if anything opens up. They will probably understand your need to quit to take care of your sister.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">