• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son using revoked power of attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goldnjade

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO A few months ago my step-father revoked his durable power of attorney granted to his son via certified letter, return receipt requested. Since then, the son has used his revoked power of attorney to make inquires at various financial/business institutions, including joint accounts held by my mother and step-father. (no power of attorney granted to him by my mother) BTW: My mother married my step-father last summer. They notified all institutions about the revokated power of attorney, in person, in writing, and by phone. Some institutions give son information and some notify my step-father about the inquiries. Some even send the requested information or statements to him with their notification of who made the inquiry/request and what information they wanted. What can be done to stop the son and what are the penalties for using a revoked power of attorney?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

JETX

What can be done to stop the son and what are the penalties for using a revoked power of attorney?
Using a renounced POA to obtain financial information on someone else is a violation of federal law (15 USC 6821).
Depending on how serious your step-father is (NOT YOU!!!), he can either simply inform his son of his federal violations... or file a complaint with the FBI and let them inform him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">