• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home value after findings and order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ktsfdave

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I received the findings and order of my divorce 75 days ago. In it, the judge placed a value of the house at $310,000. I had it reappraised in order to purchase it and the appraisal came in at $243,000. I told opposing council I would either buy it at $243,000 or we could sell it. Her atty says if we sell it, I still need to pay equity based on the $310,000. The 60 day deadline is now passed for me to purchase it according to the findings. My wife is living in the house and refuses to do anything - including getting a job but that's another story. Should I find an agent and try to sell it? Her atty says wants to take me back to court to get the judge to rule in his favor. She owes me a lot of money but won't pay till the house sells or I buy it. If the house sells, do I have to pay the equity based on the $310,000 or the final selling price?

nextwife

If market value would not bear out a sale price of 310k, then there is not that much "equity". What are the credentials of the appraiser that was used? Is he from the market local to the property? I deal with default real estate, and, we refuse to use out of area appraisers due to inaccuracy, and, refuse to use tax assessments for valuation for the same reason- the assessment is often wildly unrepresentative of true market value. How recently was the appraisal obtained and was it a true appraisal, or did they use assessment?

Last edited:

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I received the findings and order of my divorce 75 days ago. In it, the judge placed a value of the house at $310,000. I had it reappraised in order to purchase it and the appraisal came in at $243,000. I told opposing council I would either buy it at $243,000 or we could sell it. Her atty says if we sell it, I still need to pay equity based on the $310,000. The 60 day deadline is now passed for me to purchase it according to the findings. My wife is living in the house and refuses to do anything - including getting a job but that's another story. Should I find an agent and try to sell it? Her atty says wants to take me back to court to get the judge to rule in his favor. She owes me a lot of money but won't pay till the house sells or I buy it. If the house sells, do I have to pay the equity based on the $310,000 or the final selling price?
What is the wording of the judge's order? Does it say you have to pay a certain percentage of the equity or does it say you have to pay a certain number of dollars? EXACTLY what is the wording with respect to the house, as well?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">