• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forgery on legal documents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jengeye

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My friends just found out that her husband forged her signature on a lease agreement. She had notified the company that if they received the document it would not be her signature, but they did not receive the message until after the document was accepted. They are unwilling to change the document and say that at most she will be responsible for 1 month (we know not to believe this).
She just got the call confirming that her husband did indeed turn in a forged document. What is the best course of action for her to take (besides divorce, thats inevidable) to protect herself and her young children from the financial responsibilities of his forging her name. Any advice is appreciated, she cannot afford to have him controlling her this way.

mistoffolees

My friends just found out that her husband forged her signature on a lease agreement. She had notified the company that if they received the document it would not be her signature, but they did not receive the message until after the document was accepted. They are unwilling to change the document and say that at most she will be responsible for 1 month (we know not to believe this).
She just got the call confirming that her husband did indeed turn in a forged document. What is the best course of action for her to take (besides divorce, thats inevidable) to protect herself and her young children from the financial responsibilities of his forging her name. Any advice is appreciated, she cannot afford to have him controlling her this way.
File a police report.

LdiJ

She needs to make it clear to the company that if they do not remove her name from the lease, that she will take legal action against them for participating in identity fraud. She should tell them that she will go to the press as well.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Or better yet...

Today, 06:31 PM
760ncalderon30
Junior Member Join Date: Jun 2009

Forgery by husband

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live in California and have found out that my husband has forged my name to our rental agreement without me knowing. As I have told him I want a divorce, but he has not yet been served with papers I am wondering how to best handle this so I am not held legally responsible for a rental that I am not able to afford.
We can answer the actual party and not the third party. Duplication of efforts anyone?

Antigone*

I want to know if said wife, who did not sign the lease agreement is living in the unit that she did not agree to pay for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">