• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forgery by husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

760ncalderon30

I live in California and have found out that my husband has forged my name to our rental agreement without me knowing. As I have told him I want a divorce, but he has not yet been served with papers I am wondering how to best handle this so I am not held legally responsible for a rental that I am not able to afford.

mistoffolees

I live in California and have found out that my husband has forged my name to our rental agreement without me knowing. As I have told him I want a divorce, but he has not yet been served with papers I am wondering how to best handle this so I am not held legally responsible for a rental that I am not able to afford.
File a police report.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Interesting...

jengeye
Junior Member Join Date: Jun 2009

Forgery on legal documents

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My friends just found out that her husband forged her signature on a lease agreement. She had notified the company that if they received the document it would not be her signature, but they did not receive the message until after the document was accepted. They are unwilling to change the document and say that at most she will be responsible for 1 month (we know not to believe this).
She just got the call confirming that her husband did indeed turn in a forged document. What is the best course of action for her to take (besides divorce, thats inevidable) to protect herself and her young children from the financial responsibilities of his forging her name. Any advice is appreciated, she cannot afford to have him controlling her this way.
Okay then.

abys32

File a police report.
I had a similar situation. My car was traded-in. My ex is a notary, but I really don't know how she did it without my signature. How long do you have to file? Does it matter that you are married? I thought that it is different if you file against a spouse vs a stranger.

Also, I didn't like the idea of filing criminal charges against the person who is raising my child because it can't be good for the child.

mistoffolees

I had a similar situation. My car was traded-in. My ex is a notary, but I really don't know how she did it without my signature. How long do you have to file? Does it matter that you are married? I thought that it is different if you file against a spouse vs a stranger.
Criminal activity is criminal activity. If he's a notary, he'll probably lose his license, as well.

Also, I didn't like the idea of filing criminal charges against the person who is raising my child because it can't be good for the child.
Then don't file. No one can tell you what to do. But, then, it probably isn't a good idea for a child to be learning morality from a criminal, either.

You can choose to ignore it (in which case it will continue) or you can choose to put a stop to it by filing a police report. Or you can ask him nicely to stop.

Pick one.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Why are you hijacking someone else's THREAD? Post this on your own thread and quit hijacking.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Criminal activity is criminal activity. If he's a notary, he'll probably lose his license, as well.

Then don't file. No one can tell you what to do. But, then, it probably isn't a good idea for a child to be learning morality from a criminal, either.

You can choose to ignore it (in which case it will continue) or you can choose to put a stop to it by filing a police report. Or you can ask him nicely to stop.

Pick one.
Misty don't feed the annoying hijackers.

abys32

Pick one.
Well, I told my attorney what happened at that time. She wanted to pursue it in family court, but that did not happen. She did not suggest a police report. I made a choice by being complacent, I guess.

Maybe I justify to myself that it is because of my child that I didn't pursue it, but she loves her mom and lives with her. She would certainly hear about it. I know her mom has bad judgement (technically criminal judgement in this situation) and my child lies to me at times to protect her because she is old enough to know it (almost 13). So I think she might be angry with me if I did something to hurt her mom. She is not generally an angry kid. She really wants everyone to like her. Even though that is not a legal issue, it is an important one.

I agree with both your first point and second. I am vulnerable to further impropriety by not adressing it. Don't mean to hijack here. Maybe I will start another thread.

I am not leaving out any info that I can think of or making it up. As far as I know I am not guilty of anything, just divorced. I figured it was my best option after my ex left with another guy (and stole my car). I was apparently too boring. Spent too much time on the computer :p

abys32

Sorry, I missed the hijack.
You had something to add until the mysterious unwritten senior member social rules of FA were crossed. Why so easily influenced by others? Especially some unknown blogger who happens to be an attorney. If you're interested, answer. If not, do not answer. What is the consequence to you either way? If you want a new thread, start one or request one. Why the sarcastic outgroup behavior amongst *some* senior members? Do you all know each other or are you unaffiliated with FA?

Last edited:

mistoffolees

You had something to add until the mysterious unwritten senior member social rules of FA were crossed. Why so easily influenced by others? Especially some unknown blogger who happens to be an attorney. If you're interested, answer. If not, do not answer. What is the consequence to you either way? If you want a new thread, start one or request one. Why the sarcastic outgroup behavior amongst *some* senior members? Do you all know each other or are you unaffiliated with FA?
Are you arrogant or just annoying?

This forum is here to help people. In order to provide the best assistance and avoid errors that could cause people a lot of trouble, there are some rules and guidelines.

If you don't care to follow the rules, get lost.

Last edited:

abys32

Are you arrogant or just annoying?

This forum is here to help people. In order to provide the best assistance and avoid errors that could cause people a lot of trouble, there are some rules and guidelines.

If you don't care to follow the rules, get lost.
I guess that's a matter of opinion. I have my own and so do other newbies AND I think they count too. Why do you think we shouldn't?

What are the rules, where are they, who exactly is breaking them, and how?

Is writing in caps breaking the rules? Someone who posted a set of rules did that to me, breaking her own rule! But I guess because they are an attorney they can. Is that what they teach in law school? If someone makes up rules and then doesn't follow them, no one else will either.

Are you paid to be here? No one has answered that when I've asked.

Just Blue

I guess that's a matter of opinion. I have my own and so do other newbies AND I think they count too. Why do you think we shouldn't?

Is writing in caps breaking the rules? Someone who posted a set of rules did that to me, breaking her own rule! But I guess because they are an attorney they can. Is that what they teach in law school? If someone makes up rules and then doesn't follow them, no one else will either.

Your posting should be legally relevant.

Your posting should be legally accurate.

Do not post to a thread where the OP hasn't bothered responding in a week or more.

Do not "hijack" a thread.

All responses should pertain to the legal statutes of the STATE in question.

Do not argue with a site verified attorney unless you can BACK UP YOUR ARGUMENT WITH CASE LAW OR STATE STAT'S.

mistoffolees

Why is it any of your business if someone is paid to be here? I'm not and I doubt if anyone else is, but it's really their own business.

As for the rules, you might start with the FAQ at the top of the page.

And you might also start with some manners. You were asked politely to start your own thread rather than hijacking an existing thread and you started attacking people left and right. If you create your own forum, you can throw your weight around. Until then, you're a guest here (as are most, if not all, posters), so a little bit of manners might be appropriate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">