• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving in with Mom

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bdeandel

Currently my wife and I and my Mom live in two different houses in Delaware. We have made a descision that we will move in with my Mom due to health reasons. It makes sense to move in with her because her house has a first floor setup and is a little larger then ours.

Her will currently states that my sister and I split everything 50/50. So here's the question. If we sell our house and move in with my Mom and then something happens to me, it is possible that my wife would be left with nothing...so how do we insure that if I die before my mother, my wife will be sure to get the house and at the same time protect my mom and her asset(her house).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Currently my wife and I and my Mom live in two different houses in Delaware. We have made a descision that we will move in with my Mom due to health reasons. It makes sense to move in with her because her house has a first floor setup and is a little larger then ours.

Her will currently states that my sister and I split everything 50/50. So here's the question. If we sell our house and move in with my Mom and then something happens to me, it is possible that my wife would be left with nothing...so how do we insure that if I die before my mother, my wife will be sure to get the house and at the same time protect my mom and her asset(her house).
Your mother can choose to give HER house to anyone she pleases...

bdeandel

Your mother can choose to give HER house to anyone she pleases...

You are absolutely correct...but you missed the point. She wants us to have it and would just transfer the dead to our name, but my gut says that this may not be the best thing to do from either a tax standpoint or security standpoint. I would appreciate some helpful advise, not just a snide remark. Yes, she could just change her will to specifically say that the house goes to me and/or my wife, but suppose I pass away before her, and my sister convinces my mother to change the will to not give it to my wife...then my wife is without a house. The 3 of us are trying to do the right thing that is fair to all and provides security for my wife and my mother.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You are absolutely correct...but you missed the point. She wants us to have it and would just transfer the dead to our name, but my gut says that this may not be the best thing to do from either a tax standpoint or security standpoint. I would appreciate some helpful advise, not just a snide remark. Yes, she could just change her will to specifically say that the house goes to me and/or my wife, but suppose I pass away before her, and my sister convinces my mother to change the will to not give it to my wife...then my wife is without a house. The 3 of us are trying to do the right thing that is fair to all and provides security for my wife and my mother.
My answer is 100% accurate. You are already divvying up her stuff while she's alive and kicking.

If you pass away and then your mother changes her will, that's her right.

Perhaps mom needs to look in to a trust.

bdeandel

Thanks for nothing...unfortunately it is obvious to me that this forum is useless. We...the 3 of us...(my mom, my wife, and I) are looking for the best solution and most secure solution for all parties involved. If my mom had her way she would just put the house in our name and be done with it. My wife and I are pretty sure this is not the best solution for all involved. It has nothing to do with "dividing up her stuff". This forum would be better off if you did not participate, since you only seem to give smartass answers. Thanks but no thanks...if someone else would like to provide some constructive recommendations I would be willing to listen.

latigo

Then why don’t you have dear mommy give you the bloody house, cut your sister out entirely and quit squawking about it?

All of these expressions of “fairness” seem to have a consistent taint of hollowness!

mtpockets

What to do with the house

Since you are selling your house, why don't you buy your mom's house. You will have a house and your mom will have cash. After your mom passes away, you can split the cash with your sister.:)

QandA

Have you thought about turning your current house into a rental? That way if something happens to you, your wife will still have a house.

Tallrat

My answer is 100% accurate. You are already divvying up her stuff while she's alive and kicking.

If you pass away and then your mother changes her will, that's her right.

Perhaps mom needs to look in to a trust.
Then why don’t you have dear mommy give you the bloody house, cut your sister out entirely and quit squawking about it?

All of these expressions of “fairness” seem to have a consistent taint of hollowness!
The guy asks a legitimate question and this is what he gets, lol. I really cannot believe this site allows such crap if it really hopes for advertisement from legit lawyers.

candg918

You and your mother need the assistance of estate planning attorneys. It will make it easier and safer for all involved. Take it from someone who had to deal with difficukt siblings after the deaths of our parents that having the legal work done by an attorney and having a CPA who knew their situation was a great help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">