• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House Rights and Mortgage Payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sokols

Live in the State of CA. Currently in the early stages of divorce. Lawyer has told me not to move out of the house we both own. It's getting very difficult to live in the same house with my husband especially for the kids. My husband is cruel daily to try and get me to move out. He is now refusing to pay even 1/2 of any of the community household bills, utilities and mortgage payments. I pay all the groceries for me and my children,including the utilities bills and misc bills for the house and school tuition. He has at least 30,000 in savings while I live paycheck to paycheck. What should I do. Do I need to stay in the house until so sort of settlement is made? If I left how would that hurt me? I can't afford this much longer. He refuses to sell the house.

LdiJ

Live in the State of CA. Currently in the early stages of divorce. Lawyer has told me not to move out of the house we both own. It's getting very difficult to live in the same house with my husband especially for the kids. My husband is cruel daily to try and get me to move out. He is now refusing to pay even 1/2 of any of the community household bills, utilities and mortgage payments. I pay all the groceries for me and my children,including the utilities bills and misc bills for the house and school tuition. He has at least 30,000 in savings while I live paycheck to paycheck. What should I do. Do I need to stay in the house until so sort of settlement is made? If I left how would that hurt me? I can't afford this much longer. He refuses to sell the house.
If you leave without the children it could certainly hurt you. It also might delay any settlement because he could have less motivation to settle.

You have an attorney, listen to your attorney.

mistoffolees

Have the attorney ask for temporary support to help with the marital bills and, if you can afford it, temporary possession of the house and temporary custody of the kids. When that happens, he will have to move out.

If you can't afford the house, even with temporary support, then ask the court for temporary custody so that you can move to your own place.

As your attorney said, do not move out until the court settles the temporary custody issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">