• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

social security

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sourgrapes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

can my future ex wife collect from my social security retirement when i retire?
if yes, how does that work?

mistoffolees

She doesn't collect from YOUR social security. Your social security is unchanged.

She can, however, use your work history as a basis to collect social security if it provides her with more than she would get on her own. That has absolutely no impact on what you will receive.

Proserpina

Sour, could you perhaps humor my ditzy self and just have the one thread, but with all of your questions?

It does get a bit confusing sometimes jumping around :)

nextwife

She doesn't collect from YOUR social security. Your social security is unchanged.

She can, however, use your work history as a basis to collect social security if it provides her with more than she would get on her own. That has absolutely no impact on what you will receive.
Only if the marriage was at least 10 years.

Proserpina

Wife is a permanent resident who cannot at the moment qualify for social security benefits of her own - she hasn't earned enough social security credits.

If OP's wife does file for support using the I-864 and is successful (very likely) then OP is going to be on the hook to support her. Whether or not that would allow her to draw on his social security benefits remains to be seen.

LdiJ

Wife is a permanent resident who cannot at the moment qualify for social security benefits of her own - she hasn't earned enough social security credits.

If OP's wife does file for support using the I-864 and is successful (very likely) then OP is going to be on the hook to support her. Whether or not that would allow her to draw on his social security benefits remains to be seen.
Whether she can get social security based on his credits or not wasn't his real question (I don't think so anyway). I believe that he was concerned that she would get some of HIS benefits, therefore reducing the amount he received, and that is NOT the case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">