• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Must I attend hearing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lookin4answers8

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

My ex and I lived in Alabama together, but I now reside in Missouri. She has filed for divorce. I sent a response with several disagreements. Is there a way to NOT attend the hearing? A waiver or something?

Also, is Alabama a no-fault state?

Can I be forced to pay her fees (attorney and filing) although I am unemployed and we were only married 2 years?

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

My ex and I lived in Alabama together, but I now reside in Missouri. She has filed for divorce. I sent a response with several disagreements. Is there a way to NOT attend the hearing? A waiver or something?

Also, is Alabama a no-fault state?

Can I be forced to pay her fees (attorney and filing) although I am unemployed and we were only married 2 years?
If you are contesting any issues, you NEED to appear at all hearings. If you don't, you risk losing by default.

Golfball

An attorney (that you have hired) can appear in your place, to attend to your interests. It can be a pain in the backside to hire an attorney long-distance, but the question is whether you can afford not to.

During my divorce proceedings, I was sued by my X in her home state. I hired an attorney practicing in that state, and was eventually successful in having the case thrown out due to defects with my X's filing. (Which don't, at first glance, and based on the limited information supplied, appear to apply here.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">