• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Complicated Situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ms_Georgia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia/Georgia.

My brother's wife, who is Active Duty Navy, filed a restraining order on him, that the judge granted for two years. This was filed in Virginia. She then moved to Tennessee and he moved to Georgia. He hasn't seen or spoken to her in over a year. The last time he filed for divorce, before the restraining order, she sent them back unsigned. Now he wants to file for divorce again, because his life has been put on hold for these two years for something he didn't do. However, the restraining order says he can't contact her or her parents. How does he get a divorce? All he knows is that she lives in Tennessee, but has no address, no phone numbers, etc.

Ms_Georgia

Did you post a link for me to look at? Because it didn't show up. I really want to see him out of this situation and it feels like every way he turns, he hits a dead end. Even with the attorney he hired and now he can't afford to retain a new one.

Proserpina

I think OG was suggesting your brother sign up himself and asks his questions; it can be quite tricky dealing with a third party - if only because it's virtually impossible for that third party to know everything about the situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">