• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davidson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? davidson from the state of Illinois. I have been married for 28 years . In the state of Illinois will property be divided equally? What are the divorce laws for the state of Illinois?

Perky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? davidson from the state of Illinois. I have been married for 28 years . In the state of Illinois will property be divided equally? What are the divorce laws for the state of Illinois?
Illinois is an equitable distribution state. Property division is based on several factors. You can read the statutes here:

Illinois General Assembly - Legislation (click on the first act)

You can also read a summary of the laws here:

Illinois Divorce Source: State Divorce Laws: Illinois

LdiJ

In most cases, in an equitable division state property is going to end up being divided 50/50. There can be exceptions to that, but it generally holds true...particularly after a long term marriage.

nextwife

Marital property is split.

Non-commingled inheritance, non commingled separate gifts, or non commingled premarital assets would not be split. Even in a long term marriage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">