• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Informal separation - child abandonment question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LiteWait

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

My wife and I are having marital problems. Rather than separate, I'd like to move out of the house for a few weeks to give us to to reflect on our relationship and see how to move forward. Problem is I do not want to get in a situation where she can accuse me of child abandoment. This isn't the case as I am the only bread-winner and will continue paying the bills and seeing my boys all the time. I live in CT, can you please help?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

My wife and I are having marital problems. Rather than separate, I'd like to move out of the house for a few weeks to give us to to reflect on our relationship and see how to move forward. Problem is I do not want to get in a situation where she can accuse me of child abandoment. This isn't the case as I am the only bread-winner and will continue paying the bills and seeing my boys all the time. I live in CT, can you please help?
Do yourself a favor and see an attorney first. Whether she can argue child abandonment, it can still affect custody. Once you're out of the house, the status quo is that the kids are with her - and courts like to stick with the status quo.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">