• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interpretation of health proxy form

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joan Findlay

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Alabama

My father has Alzheimer's and has been declared incompetent. His Advanced Directive appointed my mother, who is now deceased, as his health care proxy. It then states that if his health proxy is not able to serve, he appoints his three daughters Jane Doe, Mary Doe and Susan Doe, jointly, as his health care co-proxies. In a separate paragraph, his directive states that he appoints his health care co-proxies to serve in such capacity in the order that he names them in the Advanced Directive. There are no provisions for majority rule.
Is Jane the health care proxy? Or does the first sentence appointing the three daughters "jointly" mean that all daughters must act together? What is a reasonable interpretation of my father's health proxy?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">