• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

when does dental ins end, at remarriage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MAmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

When spouses divorce and one is still covered under the others medical/dental insurance does that ability to cover the spouse end when they get remarried? In other words... if I covered the medical/dental insurance and continued to do so after our divorce, doesn't my ex's ability to remain on my insurance end? I am asking because my ex has been remarried for over a year now and I just received notice from the dental insurance that they are denying a claim because he is no longer eligible. I'm not sure if the dentist's office just has old info on file and ex didn't update it, or if he assumes he is still covered by my dental insurance. I am not remarried, if that matters at all. Not looking to cause trouble for him, just don't want a headache w/ insurance companies!

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

When spouses divorce and one is still covered under the others medical/dental insurance does that ability to cover the spouse end when they get remarried? In other words... if I covered the medical/dental insurance and continued to do so after our divorce, doesn't my ex's ability to remain on my insurance end? I am asking because my ex has been remarried for over a year now and I just received notice from the dental insurance that they are denying a claim because he is no longer eligible. I'm not sure if the dentist's office just has old info on file and ex didn't update it, or if he assumes he is still covered by my dental insurance. I am not remarried, if that matters at all. Not looking to cause trouble for him, just don't want a headache w/ insurance companies!
Does your divorce decree say anything about it?

Generally, you can not keep an ex on your family insurance plan - they're no longer family. That's why you often see people going for legal separation instead of divorce.

IF your decree says that you have to provide insurance, then you have to provide it - even if it's an expensive private insurer policy. If your decree says nothing, then you aren't obligated to provide insurance after a divorce. In fact, the insurance company is right - after you divorce him, he's no longer on your plan (depending on your plan, your premiums may drop when they become employee plus children instead of family -- or single employe vs. couple).

The only exception would be if he were disabled and you were supporting him - so he was a dependent. Even then, they might not cover him. In any event, that would be a rare situation.

Last edited:

Golfball

It could very well be old info on the part of the office. I do know one of my X's medical providers had her pre-divorce insurance info, so I got notice of a claim denial for post-divorce medical services for her. (I had terminated the insurance on my X after the divorce.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">