• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

What does it mean for a divorce to be contested?
It means that the other party doesn't agree with the issues presented to the court.

For example, one party might file for divorce on grounds of adultery. The other party might contest that and deny that adultery took place.

searching4answe

OK, I understand that, Texas is a no fault state therefor all I have to say is that I want a divorce, right. The reason I am asking is that I have been contacting lawyers and they are asking me if it will be contested or uncontested, their fee is based on that. My wife doesn't want the divorce but I don't want to be married to her anymore.

Thanks

Golfball

I am not an attorney, but unless the parties are in complete agreement, I would think it would be considered contested.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OK, I understand that, Texas is a no fault state therefor all I have to say is that I want a divorce, right. The reason I am asking is that I have been contacting lawyers and they are asking me if it will be contested or uncontested, their fee is based on that. My wife doesn't want the divorce but I don't want to be married to her anymore.

Thanks
If your wife doesn't want the divorce it will be contested.

mistoffolees

I didn't realize that it would be so dificult, I thought if you wanted a divorce you got one.
That is true. If you want a divorce, you will get one.

That doesn't mean it will be easy or cheap. Your stbx has rights, too, and is able to enforce those rights in the court. In the end, you'll get your divorce, though.

Proserpina

That is true. If you want a divorce, you will get one.

That doesn't mean it will be easy or cheap
. Your stbx has rights, too, and is able to enforce those rights in the court. In the end, you'll get your divorce, though.
Yep!

And the attorneys will want to know - a contested divorce can be very, very expensive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">