• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Engagement Ring

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

searching4answe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

After my wife and I got married my wife asked me to pawn her engagement. My wife did not work and had no way of making the payments. I was paying on the ring until I marriage started to disolve at which point and time I decided to quit and let the ring go into default. Do I owe my wife the value of the ring when we get divorced?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

After my wife and I got married my wife asked me to pawn her engagement. My wife did not work and had no way of making the payments. I was paying on the ring until I marriage started to disolve at which point and time I decided to quit and let the ring go into default. Do I owe my wife the value of the ring when we get divorced?
Nope, what makes you think that?

searching4answe

She claims that a lawyer told her that she was entitled to the value since it was an engagement ring and I am the one asking for the divorce.

mistoffolees

She claims that a lawyer told her that she was entitled to the value since it was an engagement ring and I am the one asking for the divorce.
That's not correct. You have to let her have it, but since it's not in your possession, that's her problem, not yours.

You will have to give her 1/2 of marital assets. If she chooses to use that money to buy the ring back, she's welcome to do so.

searching4answe

What if there are no martial assets, we life paycheck to paycheck, it is important to mention that my wife does not work, she refuses too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">