• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorcing a Saudi national

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

far7ana

My state is Arizona, and I have a question about divorce. My husband decided that he does not want to reside here in Arizona and prefers to live in Saudi Arabia. He has asked me to move there and I cannot and will not leave my children and move there. My reason for this is that the childrens biological father will never accept the children to be in another country. We have argued over this numerous times with my husband. There is no solution, we have grown more annoyed with each other than anything else. The other thing is, he has resided there since Oct 22, just 7 days after we were married, and have not seen him in person since that time. We stay in contact over the phone and online. I no longer cannot live in this type of marriage. What would be my grounds for divorce? I cannot seem to find anything under Arizona law that would fit into my reasons for filing for divorce. My other question, am I and would I be able to qualify for spousal maintenance if possible? My husband has supported me throughout the marriage financially and would need time to find a job at this time. Am I entitled to any type of support from him? This is all too complicated and confusing.

Last edited:

Proserpina

My state is Arizona, and I have a question about divorce. My husband decided that he does not want to reside here in Arizona and prefers to live in Saudi Arabia. He has asked me to move there and I cannot and will not leave my children and move there. My reason for this is that the childrens biological father will never accept the children to be in another country. We have argued over this numerous times with my husband. There is no solution, we have grown more annoyed with each other than anything else. The other thing is, he has resided there since Oct 22, just 7 days after we were married, and have not seen him in person since that time. We stay in contact over the phone and online. I no longer cannot live in this type of marriage. What would be my grounds for divorce? I cannot seem to find anything under Arizona law that would fit into my reasons for filing for divorce. My other question, am I and would I be able to qualify for spousal maintenance if possible? My husband has supported me throughout the marriage financially and would need time to find a job at this time. Am I entitled to any type of support from him? This is all too complicated and confusing.
How long was the marriage? Did you sponsor your husband's green-card? (what is your husband's actual immigration status?)

mistoffolees

You should really see an attorney. Trying to divorce someone overseas isn't easy. I'll try to answer your questions:

1. Grounds. Arizona is easy - it's a no fault state. You simply have to state that the divorce is irretrievably broken. That sounds like the case.

2. You're not going to qualify for significant spousal maintenance when you were married for 8 months (and only living with him for a week). You MIGHT get a little temporary maintenance while the divorce is pending, but don't count on it. Then there's the little matter of enforcing it. Even if you got the court to order maintenance, the odds of you collecting it are slim.

You're not likely to get very much, if anything, in either property or support (unless you have joint assets that skyrocketed in value since last October). You might be better off to get him to agree to a quick dissolution. If he comes from a well-to-do family, they may be willing to pick up the legal expenses or something minor to make it go quickly.

Interestingly, you didn't ask about annulment - which is one of the questions that most newbies ask. Given the scenario you laid out - that he married you on the pretense that he would live in the US and he immediately tried to go back to Saudi Arabia, it just might be possible to get an annulment (a stretch, but possible). Normally, an annulment is more expensive and time consuming than a divorce, but given the conservative nature of most Saudis, it may be to his advantage to get an annulment so he can tell his future bride (assuming that becomes an issue some day) that he wasn't married. That might make him more amenable to picking up the expenses.

Proserpina

You should really see an attorney. Trying to divorce someone overseas isn't easy. I'll try to answer your questions:

1. Grounds. Arizona is easy - it's a no fault state. You simply have to state that the divorce is irretrievably broken. That sounds like the case.

2. You're not going to qualify for significant spousal maintenance when you were married for 8 months (and only living with him for a week). You MIGHT get a little temporary maintenance while the divorce is pending, but don't count on it. Then there's the little matter of enforcing it. Even if you got the court to order maintenance, the odds of you collecting it are slim.

You're not likely to get very much, if anything, in either property or support (unless you have joint assets that skyrocketed in value since last October). You might be better off to get him to agree to a quick dissolution. If he comes from a well-to-do family, they may be willing to pick up the legal expenses or something minor to make it go quickly.

Interestingly, you didn't ask about annulment - which is one of the questions that most newbies ask. Given the scenario you laid out - that he married you on the pretense that he would live in the US and he immediately tried to go back to Saudi Arabia, it just might be possible to get an annulment (a stretch, but possible). Normally, an annulment is more expensive and time consuming than a divorce, but given the conservative nature of most Saudis, it may be to his advantage to get an annulment so he can tell his future bride (assuming that becomes an issue some day) that he wasn't married. That might make him more amenable to picking up the expenses.
I'm not sure where 8 months come from? (I could be completely missing it)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">