• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with Divorcing A German National

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

enemyagent83

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois.

I am seeking advice on the best way to file for divorce with a German National. I am in the U.S. Miltary and married in Feb 08. We were married at a German City Hall.

My wife and I only lived together for 1 week before I was given orders to Korea. She currently lives in Germany and we own nothing jointly. We have been seperated for over 1 year. We do have a child together that I pay child support for. My daughter is considered one of my dependents and is a citizen of both U.S. and Germany. My wife will be keeping custody.

Can I file for divorce in the United States or does it have to be in Germany at the place of marriage? Can I do the divorce proceedings abroad with an online lawyer or something? I am currently stationed in Okinawa Japan. Traveling back and forth to Germany is not economical by any means. Any advice is much appreciated.

thank you

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois.

I am seeking advice on the best way to file for divorce with a German National. I am in the U.S. Miltary and married in Feb 08. We were married at a German City Hall.

My wife and I only lived together for 1 week before I was given orders to Korea. She currently lives in Germany and we own nothing jointly. We have been seperated for over 1 year. We do have a child together that I pay child support for. My daughter is considered one of my dependents and is a citizen of both U.S. and Germany. My wife will be keeping custody.

Can I file for divorce in the United States or does it have to be in Germany at the place of marriage? Can I do the divorce proceedings abroad with an online lawyer or something? I am currently stationed in Okinawa Japan. Traveling back and forth to Germany is not economical by any means. Any advice is much appreciated.

thank you
Do you have a residence in the US? That would probably be the place to file. They wouldn't have jurisdiction over her in Germany as far as property is concerned, but since you don't have any, it's not an issue.

You probably want to start by seeing your JAG for advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">