• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Summary Judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thekid

Had summary judgement filed against me in NC for leaving employer (signed contract for 2 years, left after 6 months). I now live in GA - can they collect? Is there anyway to overturn this judgement? Will my credit score be ruined? PLEASE HELP!!!

ALawyer

The first question I'd ask is why was summary judgment entered? Were you served with the summons? If so, did you answer? If not, why not? Did you have any defense interposed? Was there a hearing on the merits?

A judgment in one state is entitled to full faith and credit in all other states. You'd have to get it withdrawn in the state where it was rendered. Most states permit judgments to be overturned if there was no service, or if it was obtained by fraud, provided there is some bona fide defense. But you'd need a lawyer to do it.

T

thekid

In the contract it said I would be charged for "training costs" if I left. The amount the judgement was for is 30000 and the contract only said 22000, but they have also broken clauses from my contract which I think would deem it void. I never responded when the papers were served to me because I was told nothing would happen, bad mistake when I look back upon it. So is it possible to get this judgement overturned? How costly will this be? In the meantime will I be denied for any credit I apply for because of this mark on my credit report?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">