• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I contact my home w/o getting busted?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RunninFoo

This question concerns a couple friends who were involved in a high speed chase in Texas. They were chased for miles by State Police and managed to elude the police on their motorcycles. After a while they ditched the bikes and took off on foot. One of the cycles was stolen, but not recently; it had legit 30 day tags. The police figured out who they were and have been to their houses and even talked to some of their friends and family. Anyway, these guys have gotten out of town for a few weeks and they want to know if the police have any power to tap the phones at their parents house in Texas. One of the guys lives at home if that matters. They need to get in touch with their parents, but they are afraid that the police will trace any attempted contact. What restrictions do the police have to deal with in a case like this? Would the police even bother to pursue this if they knew these guys were out of town? Will they and can they monitor phone lines or email accounts? I hope that this is enough info for a response and thank you.

V

Virginian

Without charges even being pressed----presumably just an investigation going on----it seems highly unlikely that the police would go to the trouble of getting a warrant to tap their parent's phones. (Do these guys have more to worry about than just the motorcycle and "evading arrest through high speed chase" rap? If not why don't they just go face the music and get this over with? Although admittedly the cops do look askance at people endangering the lives of other citizens in "high-speed chases for miles".) If they need to get in touch with their parents, isn't there a family member who lives elsewhere and has e-mail through whom they could communicate?

Letters are a great way to communicate, provided one sends it from a city that is not your own---or sends to an out of state relative for forwarding or something. And remembers not to put anything in the letter (or on the envelope) that would give away one's location. If people expect to live on the lam, they have to get creative! (But if they haven't been charged yet, I guess they're technically not really "on the lam".)

However, my experience has been that guys dumb enough to steal motorcycles are probably not smart enough to elude arrest for too long. so.....

Another option--perhaps the best and safest (for them)--- and their families) would be to spare their parents a lot of agony, not return home, and just make it on their own someplace else. Like Mexico. And chalk it up to the consequences of stealing motorcycles. The police in Texas may even forget about them eventually (i.e. not bother to pursue).

And why is it exactly that they need to get in touch with their parents?

V

Virginian

PS: If these are friends, why does it say "can I contact my home w/out getting busted" in your post? Your name says it all: Runnin' is Foolish, just face the charges and don't do this anymore. You (or your friends) might use the time away from home to think about how badly this hurts the parents, how selfish it is, and how parents deserve better treatment than what they're getting from these kids. (Hopefully your friends want to contact their parents to tell them they're safe, so the parents won't worry, and not to ask them for money to get these kids out of the trouble that they alone got themselves into through irresponsible and selfish actions).

And, since my previous post didn't mention it, "aiding and abetting" IS a crime, so your friends should be careful about dragging any relatives into collusion with them.

W

watchereye

hidden phone call

there's a way to call in that's un traceable but it requires cooperation of at least two people, and it's easy to mail from another location, I can tell you both

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">