• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a condo association force an eviction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mef10001

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I live in a small three unit condo building. The other two units are rented to tenants. The unit below me was just rented out 10 days ago and the tenants are trouble!

The police have been here three times in the last 5 days, twice for domestic disputes, once because the adult son (who's not on the lease) was implicated in a string of thefts from cars and a home. The husband acted in a threatening manner toward me when I called about the first domestic dispute and their music/tv are blasting the smell of pot smoke is overwhelming. I smell it in my unit and I feel like if it's allowed to continue, it will penetrate the walls and the house will reek.

I spoke with the landlord about what has happened and he was calling the police to learn more about the stolen property case, but I haven't heard back from him. I want these people gone. I'm nervous in my own home. I don't want to smell marijuana every night and listen to the extremely loud music.

Does anyone know if the condo association can force his hand about eviction?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FarmerJ

If your local PD has a community safe officer speak to her or him about the illegal drug use, you may have to call them every time you smell it BUT the point of calling the police each time is then if they atleast fill out reports then the LL can use the reports them self as reason to evict. IN The time being the association can learn all it can about your states and city drug laws including how they apply to rental unit owners.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I live in a small three unit condo building. The other two units are rented to tenants. The unit below me was just rented out 10 days ago and the tenants are trouble!

The police have been here three times in the last 5 days, twice for domestic disputes, once because the adult son (who's not on the lease) was implicated in a string of thefts from cars and a home. The husband acted in a threatening manner toward me when I called about the first domestic dispute and their music/tv are blasting the smell of pot smoke is overwhelming. I smell it in my unit and I feel like if it's allowed to continue, it will penetrate the walls and the house will reek.

I spoke with the landlord about what has happened and he was calling the police to learn more about the stolen property case, but I haven't heard back from him. I want these people gone. I'm nervous in my own home. I don't want to smell marijuana every night and listen to the extremely loud music.

Does anyone know if the condo association can force his hand about eviction?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

**A: the HOA can demand that the owner evict or take steps to do so at the owner's cost.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">