• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legally stopping someone from contacting you in Oregon...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

geminigal

I am married and had an affair over a year ago with a married man for about a month and a half. I wanted to stop seeing him, but he won't take 'no' for an answer. He wouldn't stop calling or coming over. (I stopped answering the phone and would get him to leave when he stopped by.) Then when I refused to speak to him or have any contact, he would leave messages telling my husband what happened. Now has left a note on my husbands car. I just want him to leave us alone. Is there anything legal that I can do to MAKE him stop?

JETX

Basically, you have little recourse against him. As long as his actions are not threatening, and his 'tales' are not lies, he is free to say what he wants (First Amendment).

The only real recourse you have is if he were to trespass on your property. Then you could have him 'noticed', and if he returns, he could be arrested.

G

geminigal

Thank you for your response. I have read about civil harassment suits, could that be a possibility? Also, what is 'noticed?' He has come on our property knowing that he is not welcome here.

JETX

"Noticed" is when the police come out and advise the individual that his presence is not wanted and any further attempts to enter on or in the property will be "criminal trespass" and subject to arrest.

Just 'him knowing he is welcome' is not sufficient notice.. obviously, he can say that you invited him, etc!

G

geminigal

Thank you, Mr. Halket for your useful information. I'm sure I am not the only one that appreciates the free help. I wish you well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">