• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad needs a new car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vtssmith@yahoo.

Hello,
I would like to buy my dad a new car. If I do he will surely give it to his girl friend. How can I pervent this from happening. I live in Mi and he lives in Florida. I would like him to be able to register his new car in his name but I would like to have it after he passes away. He is 87 years old and gives all his valuables to his girlfriend. Thanks in Advance

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello,
I would like to buy my dad a new car. If I do he will surely give it to his girl friend. How can I pervent this from happening. I live in Mi and he lives in Florida. I would like him to be able to register his new car in his name but I would like to have it after he passes away. He is 87 years old and gives all his valuables to his girlfriend. Thanks in Advance
If you're GIVING the car to your dad, then it's his to do with as he pleases.

latigo

Why don’t you buy it and lease it to pop for a dollar a year? Then as the lessee he can register, tag and insure it and you stand some chance (slim) of getting it back some day.

Novel way of making a gift, but I don’t see why it couldn’t be done.

Who knows? He might even get a chance to drive it now and then.

Hot Topic

If he's 87, he doesn't "need" a new car. I guess you haven't heard of the elderly people who have stepped on the gas instead of the break and killed or injured hundreds.

If you want a car, buy it for yourself. Using your dad as an excuse to ultimately get your hands on one doesn't reflect well on you.

Hot Topic

Could you tell me what age is the cutoff for not needing a car?

My mom is 90, goes a little less than the speed limit on the side roads. She is as sharp as a tack....

but then there is Charlie next door....he's about 70 and doesn't know if it's day or night but drives the interstate....

See question above please (and thanks).

Tallrat

My old man is 88 and drives cross country 2 or so times a year. Not the smartest statements I've ever heard.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">