• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

changing locks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

samtara

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware
I am recently separated- my husband went outside the us to see his mistress. Now he says it is not working and wants to come back. I haven't served him with papers yet, and my laywer is out of town so I can't ask her. I'm a little afraid of him. Can I change the locks? What would it mean for my divorce?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware
I am recently separated- my husband went outside the us to see his mistress. Now he says it is not working and wants to come back. I haven't served him with papers yet, and my laywer is out of town so I can't ask her. I'm a little afraid of him. Can I change the locks? What would it mean for my divorce?
No you cannot change the locks. He is allowed into his home which is what the marital residence is without court orders saying otherwise.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No you cannot change the locks. He is allowed into his home which is what the marital residence is without court orders saying otherwise.
OG - I disagree. Our OP has every right to change the locks. Our OP has NO right to keep her husband out of the house though ;)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OG - I disagree. Our OP has every right to change the locks. Our OP has NO right to keep her husband out of the house though ;)
Good point. She can change the locks and hubby can legally break in and demand a key. Hubby can also legally change the locks.

Golfball

The poster should talk to their attorney licensed in DE. I'm not familiar with the DE code/law, but in at least one other state, OP could change the locks, bar the STBX from entering, and do so legally in the absence of a court order. And STBX could not break in legally, either.

(See NCGS 14-134.3. While the NCGS do not apply in OP's case, the point of my statement is that there are exceptions, and one should talk to their attorney licensed in their state for the final word. I do not see a similar analogue in DE with a quick google search.)

LdiJ

The poster should talk to their attorney licensed in DE. I'm not familiar with the DE code/law, but in at least one other state, OP could change the locks, bar the STBX from entering, and do so legally in the absence of a court order. And STBX could not break in legally, either.

(See NCGS 14-134.3. While the NCGS do not apply in OP's case, the point of my statement is that there are exceptions, and one should talk to their attorney licensed in their state for the final word. I do not see a similar analogue in DE with a quick google search.)
There are also some circumstances where its necessary to change the locks for safety purposes. No one should risk being a statistic because we are so adamant that they cannot change the locks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">