• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP Please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hisgrl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Virginia

Hi, I am an only child and my father is 80 years old and drinks a half gallon of vodka a day .He is not able to walk well and does not take a bath for weeks and goes to the bathroom in the bed and on the floor...his bedroom is horrid because of the smell and he does not eat much or cook, he also cannot read or write and falls down outside and is left on the ground , sometimes all night, until someone finds him.

He has been fussing at me about his money and says he wants me to check on it when he dies and find out where it all has gone, he gave POA to his nephew and he now has no idea where his state check is going to and how much money he has.He also took my dad to make a will out and my dad has no copy of it and no idea what he signed or what it says, because he cannot read.

Recently my daughter called the State and asked where his check was going and the man told her and my dad it was being sent to a PO Box every month, and not going in the bank .I guess his nephews PO box and maybe he is then taking my dads check and signing it and putting it in his own bank, no one knows for sure.

Anyway not only is my dad not being cared for but my dad gets another check from SS and has to live on 1000.00 of that a month...which is being used for car payment, phone and food ...which leaves him with maybe 400 or 300 a month to live on.The other check he has no idea about.

My question is can I do anything? I know this nephew is stealing from him , and using him for his money and as his daughter I do not know what steps to take to fix this.

My dad says do not worry about it, it is his money if he wants to throw it away he will, but then every night he fusses to me about it....and I sit and watch him going without and it bothers me that he is not being cared for as he should be and that he is being taken advantage of.

He also keeps saying well when I die he will have to give an account so wait till then...but he also has this will , that he knows nothing about and I fear he has signed something he has no idea about. He did not even have an idea how much his State check was until the other day and he has been getting it for years.

Thanks-it is bothering my heart to see this going on:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Virginia

Hi, I am an only child and my father is 80 years old and drinks a half gallon of vodka a day .He is not able to walk well and does not take a bath for weeks and goes to the bathroom in the bed and on the floor...his bedroom is horrid because of the smell and he does not eat much or cook, he also cannot read or write and falls down outside and is left on the ground , sometimes all night, until someone finds him.

He has been fussing at me about his money and says he wants me to check on it when he dies and find out where it all has gone, he gave POA to his nephew and he now has no idea where his state check is going to and how much money he has.He also took my dad to make a will out and my dad has no copy of it and no idea what he signed or what it says, because he cannot read.

Recently my daughter called the State and asked where his check was going and the man told her and my dad it was being sent to a PO Box every month, and not going in the bank .I guess his nephews PO box and maybe he is then taking my dads check and signing it and putting it in his own bank, no one knows for sure.

Anyway not only is my dad not being cared for but my dad gets another check from SS and has to live on 1000.00 of that a month...which is being used for car payment, phone and food ...which leaves him with maybe 400 or 300 a month to live on.The other check he has no idea about.

My question is can I do anything? I know this nephew is stealing from him , and using him for his money and as his daughter I do not know what steps to take to fix this.

My dad says do not worry about it, it is his money if he wants to throw it away he will, but then every night he fusses to me about it....and I sit and watch him going without and it bothers me that he is not being cared for as he should be and that he is being taken advantage of.

He also keeps saying well when I die he will have to give an account so wait till then...but he also has this will , that he knows nothing about and I fear he has signed something he has no idea about. He did not even have an idea how much his State check was until the other day and he has been getting it for years.

Thanks-it is bothering my heart to see this going on:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
If dad is competent, he can revoke the POA. Also have dad call Social Security and where any of his other checks come from to have the address changed to his home.

If dad is competent, also check into voluntary guardianship with you being the guardian. You'll have more power to do what needs to be done with the thief. All agencies, including Social Security etc., recognize a court appointed guardian.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">