• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I petition for payment of obligation by defendent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Syrpongo

I have a stipulation and divorce decree, duley signed and recorded sept 30 1998. There are monetary obligations my ex agreed to pay..to date, none of these obligations have been addressed by my ex. The result is my credit rating has suffered severely. To add to the list, my ex claimed our daughter as a dependent on their income tax return, for which we agreed, and was so ordered, I would receive that deduction. my question, would it be worthwhile if i file a complaint in small claims court in NY state to get my ex to meet the obligations, as so ordered, decreed, amd adjudged. Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Syrpongo said:
I have a stipulation and divorce decree, duley signed and recorded sept 30 1998. There are monetary obligations my ex agreed to pay..to date, none of these obligations have been addressed by my ex. The result is my credit rating has suffered severely. To add to the list, my ex claimed our daughter as a dependent on their income tax return, for which we agreed, and was so ordered, I would receive that deduction. my question, would it be worthwhile if i file a complaint in small claims court in NY state to get my ex to meet the obligations, as so ordered, decreed, amd adjudged. Thank you.
My response:

I'll do you one better . . .

Did you know that she is in "Contempt of Court" of the court's orders ? Did you know that Contempt of Court is "criminal" in nature ?

File your Petition for an "Order to Show Cause" in Family Law court, and not only will you get your money, but she'll be responsible for your Attorney's Fees, and Costs. In addition, and here's the good part, because she's committed a criminal offense, you'll probably get to see her taken away to jail !

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">