• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fire Sprinkler leak damages hardwood floor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cenegal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Califonia.
A failed sprinkler head flooded my condo while I was on travel. The HOA newsletter had an item last Oct that stated "You may have a sprinkler head that has been recalled. You should get your system checked." All 250 units have the recalled sprinkler head. I didn't read the newsletter, and didn't act on this. Another unit was flooded by a failed sprinkler head 3 weeks ago. The property management company says they are not liable for any damage to my hardwood floor, and that I'd been notified of the risk. The HOA insurance policy has a limit of $39K and a $10K deductible. Due to bad advice from my own insurance company, I have a "renters policy" (vice the "HO-6" that I should have had), and that does not cover my floor either.
Isn't the fire sprinkler system common property, since it covers the 2 other units in my condo building and has a common water supply? Shouldn't the recall of the sprinkler heads have been mandatory, and the HOA responsible for the replacement inspection and labor? Is an item in a newsletter sufficient notice for a recall involving a critical system like fire suppression?
Thank you.

racer72

There is a negligent party that is liable for your damages.

The HOA newsletter had an item last Oct that stated "You may have a sprinkler head that has been recalled. You should get your system checked." All 250 units have the recalled sprinkler head. I didn't read the newsletter, and didn't act on this.
That was easy to find.

cenegal

HOA newsletter to inform of recall sprinkler head

I don't believe that stating a person's liability for something in a newsletter makes it so.

So far I've spoken to 15 other owners. None have had their sprinklers checked, most don't recall the newsletter item.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Califonia.
A failed sprinkler head flooded my condo while I was on travel. The HOA newsletter had an item last Oct that stated "You may have a sprinkler head that has been recalled. You should get your system checked." All 250 units have the recalled sprinkler head. I didn't read the newsletter, and didn't act on this. Another unit was flooded by a failed sprinkler head 3 weeks ago. The property management company says they are not liable for any damage to my hardwood floor, and that I'd been notified of the risk. The HOA insurance policy has a limit of $39K and a $10K deductible. Due to bad advice from my own insurance company, I have a "renters policy" (vice the "HO-6" that I should have had), and that does not cover my floor either.
Isn't the fire sprinkler system common property, since it covers the 2 other units in my condo building and has a common water supply? Shouldn't the recall of the sprinkler heads have been mandatory, and the HOA responsible for the replacement inspection and labor? Is an item in a newsletter sufficient notice for a recall involving a critical system like fire suppression?
Thank you.
Are you saying that your unit was flooded as a result of the defective sprinkler head in the other unit? Or was there two separate incidents of flooding?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">