• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deceitful roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

barbarahershey

I lived with my ex roommate in college for 3 years then we decided to get an apartment off campus for my last year at school. The bills were put in my name due to her having a restraining order against an ex boyfriend who she didn't want to find her. We both signed the lease in June and I lived at my parents for the summer until school started in Sept. After 3 weeks of living there my cash started to disappear. Then I realized it was her! I wasn't able to attain any proof but I had a gut feeling. I moved out for fear of confronting her and my possesions being stolen when I was not there. I had all the bills changed to her name. A month later I got a call from the phone company that there was an outstanding bill of $800. A bill which she hid from me. I explained the situation and they said where's our money? So at this point I have filed a suit against her at the local district magistrate where we lived and am awaiting a court date. She has since filed a counter suit for $3700. $2000 of which would be my half of the rent for the remaining 8 months on the lease. $1700 came out of no where. I did live there for 3 weeks but I by no means rang up $1700 in bills. What I need to know is whether or not I have a chance. She only filed suit after I did and the management at the apartment complex has told me that they are not filing suit and they would have by now. She didn't have a problem paying the rent for the last 6 months.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">