• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Miscarriage/Hospitol bill payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yangquestioner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

Recently, my ex-fiance who has not spoken to me in months has recently contacted me about a miscarriage that had happened while we were together. She hadn't said anything to me about the bill the entirety while dating. After splitting up, and herself being re-engaged and not speaking to me for a few months, she suddenly ask that I pay half of the bills for the miscarriage. Do I legally have to pay, even though there has been miscommunication, a end if relationship, and she already has a new partner?

A few notes are that I already have bills related to her (both financial [grocery related] and prenatal related), the baby is indeed mine (though I have not asked for a blood dna test) and she is threatening to go to a small claims court if I do not comply.

She also has yet to speak to me in person.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CourtClerk

You have no legal obligation to support some girl you may or may not have knocked up. That was her kid. Tell her to pay the bill.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

Recently, my ex-fiance who has not spoken to me in months has recently contacted me about a miscarriage that had happened while we were together. She hadn't said anything to me about the bill the entirety while dating. After splitting up, and herself being re-engaged and not speaking to me for a few months, she suddenly ask that I pay half of the bills for the miscarriage. Do I legally have to pay, even though there has been miscommunication, a end if relationship, and she already has a new partner?

A few notes are that I already have bills related to her (both financial [grocery related] and prenatal related), the baby is indeed mine (though I have not asked for a blood dna test) and she is threatening to go to a small claims court if I do not comply.

She also has yet to speak to me in person.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Tell your ex to pound sand. You are not responsible for ANY of her bills. You were not even responsible for any of the bills during her pregnancy. You were not a father - yet.

yangquestioner

So I think the last question I have is if she has already sent me the bill, and I refuse to pay, she will go to a small claims court and attempt to sue for the money. Does she have a case or not? If she does, (or just in case) what should I have prepared to defend myself?

Antigone*

So I think the last question I have is if she has already sent me the bill, and I refuse to pay, she will go to a small claims court and attempt to sue for the money. Does she have a case or not? If she does, (or just in case) what should I have prepared to defend myself?
She does not have a case. She can sue you but your defense is that YOU did not go to the hospital. YOU received no services and made no promise to pay. This is not YOUR bill.

yangquestioner

Thank you very much. This gives me peace of mind, but my emotional being says much else is to be desired... it appears I may have to appear in court because she is a very persistent person but I will hopefully be prepared for that when it comes.

Isis1

Thank you very much. This gives me peace of mind, but my emotional being says much else is to be desired... it appears I may have to appear in court because she is a very persistent person but I will hopefully be prepared for that when it comes.
say no, say no, say no. prove the child she supposedly miscarried was yours. you are not legally required to support her body, her medical decisions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">