• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can 1 married parent have a guardianship will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

weimaraner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GEORGIA

My husband and I cannot agree on who we would leave our 1 year old with if BOTH of us were to die. I however have someone in mind and they are fully capable of raising him in the event that both of us were to die. We currently do not have a will. Would just my will for guardianship stand up with who I name or would BOTH of our names have to be signed to it?
thank you!

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GEORGIA

My husband and I cannot agree on who we would leave our 1 year old with if BOTH of us were to die.
Sorry, you cannot will away children. You can only nominate a guardian in a will; still, it is up to a judge to decide who will be one's guardian.
I however have someone in mind and they are fully capable of raising him in the event that both of us were to die. We currently do not have a will. Would just my will for guardianship stand up with who I name or would BOTH of our names have to be signed to it?
You can make a will without anyone's consent. Your husband does not have to make a will. Not making a will fall's into intestate sucession. Check into a standy by guardian with an attorney.
thank you!
You're welcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">